Instruction and editorial guidelines for authors to submit technical papers to the proexplo 2017
The 10th International Congress of Prospectors and Explorers, proEXPLO 2017, will include oral and poster presentations which will be carried out during three full days, from May 8th to 10th of 2017.
This document summarizes the editorial standards for extended abstracts and other additional information required from authors.
The extended abstracts submitted should be accompanied by a letter (or email) to the Organizing Commission indicating the paper title, author name (or names of authors if more than one), filiation, postal address, email and a short summary of each authors of no more than five (5) lines. In addition, it is required to know if the paper is an original version and have company or institution authorization to be presented at the Congress.
When a paper is from several authors, it is required to clearly indicate the name and the address of the main author to whom deliver evaluation results and other type of communications. It is expected that the main author should the presenter, however the Organizing Commission will consider and make exceptions in particular situations.
Submission and acceptance of extended abstracts
Technical papers should be related with the following thematic sessions:
- Tectonic evolution and metallogenesis of Peru
- Geology and exploration of ore deposits, with emphasis in copper, gold, silver and polymetallic.
- Mineral exploration and new discoveries in Latin America
- Advance mining project: the challenge of the next producers
- Geophysics, geochemistry, and new technology applied to exploration.
- Valuing mineral exploration prospect and project
- Corporate social responsibility and community relationships in mineral exploration
- Environmental permitting and regulatory framework of mining exploration in Peru.
- Regional governments and communities
- Geological Surveys
- TOP MINING EXPLORATION: finances and capital market in the mining exploration business.
A committee integrated by specialists recommended by the Organizing Commission will review all extended abstracts. Papers will be returned to authors with opinions and suggestions from the committee for review and making of a final version.
Product, services or companies promotional type of papers will not be accepted.
After reception of the final version, the committee will decide on approval and if it will be presented in the form of oral presentation or poster. The image files will be requested at this time in the following possible formats: jpg, tif, png, or bmp.
Authors of papers selected for oral presentations shall submit to the Organizing Commission a power point version of the presentation to be presented in a maximum time of twenty (20) minutes. Deadline for the power point presentation is April 10, 2017.
Authors of technical papers selected for poster presentations shall submit to the Organizing Commission posters in accordance with the specification detailed in the item “guidelines for posters presenters” included in this document.
Editorial guidelines for extended abstracts
The extended abstract should be written using Microsoft Word in the language accepted officially at the Congress (Spanish or English). It will have a length of four (4) pages maximum and a minimum of two (2) pages, including figures, tables and bibliographical references. The sheet size required is A4.
Papers will be structured according to the following order:
- Title: Shall be in Arial 13
- Author: Authors name (initial), last name using Bold Arial 11, company of institution filiation, full address and e-mail address (using Arial 11 Regular).
- Summary: Papers submitted will include a summary in Spanish and English. This summary should have an extension of 150 words maximum. Should be concise as well as informative and provide results in advance. Works prepared in Spanish should include in the abstract the title in English. Extended abstract prepared in English should include in the abstract the title in Spanish.
- Keywords: Maximum of five (5) keywords, not including words used in the title.
- Main text: The main text should be prepared in “simple spacing” and organized in two columns, with section headed by subtitles up to three (3) hierarchical levels. Titles of sections (hierarchical level one) shall be in Bold Arial 12 font. Titles of subsections (hierarchical levels two) shall be in Bold Arial 11 font. The titles of section of third hierarchical order will go in Arial 11 italic font. It must include, as a general reference: a paragraph of introduction, development of main topic, summary of data and results, discussion and conclusions. The extension given to the main text is critical, as it must conform to the maximum space allowed for the entirety of the article.
- Acknowledgements: should be written in a maximum of 3 lines.
Bibliographic references: All references included in the text must be listed according to alphabetical order of authors and should contain all the information necessary for its location. We suggest using the following examples:
Book: Camus, F., 2003, Geología de los sistemas porfíricos en los Andes de Chile. Servicio Nacional de Geología y Minería, Chile, 267 p.
Conference Paper: Loayza, D., Barreda, J., Crósta, A., Morche, W., Hedenquist, J., 2004, Late Miocene high sulphidation epithermal gold deposits of the Aruntani district, southern Peru: SEG 2004, Predictive Mineral Discovery Under Cover, Perth, Australia, Extended Abstracts, p. 212-215
Journal Paper: Sillitoe, R.H., 1988, Epochs of intrusion-related copper mineralization in the Andes. Journal of South America Earth Sciences, v. 1, p. 89-108.
Paper from a book or special publication: Ohmoto, H., and Goldhaber, M.B., 1997, Sulfur and carbon isotopes, in Barnes, H.L., ed., Geochemistry of hydrothermal ore deposits, 3rd ed.: New York, Wiley, p. 517–611.
Academic thesis: Adshead, N.D., 1995, Geology, Alteration and Geochemistry of the Osborne Cu-Au Deposit, Cloncurry District, NW Queensland. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Townsville, Australia, James Cook University, 382 p
URL data: Mosier, D.L., Singer, D.A., Moring, B.C., and Galloway, J.P., 2012, Podiform chromite deposits database and grade and tonnage models: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2012-5157, 45 p. and database (https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2012/5157/sir2012-5157_text.pdf).
- Figures: Include maps, graphics, tables and photographs. Illustrations may be submitted in two sizes: full page wide or column wide. Number of each figure should be clearly indicated in the file name. Text corresponding to each illustration should be included at the end of the paper. The image files will be given in the following possible types of format: jpg, tif, png, or bmp, with a minimum resolution of 300 pixels.
Instructions for poster presentations
The Organizing Commission of proEXPLO 2017 will assign space for posters exhibition at the Congress and will notify the author about it in advance.
Author’s which extended abstracts were selected to be presented as posters, should take in consideration the following information:
- The deadline for approved final posters submissions is April 10, 2017.
- The required dimensions of each poster are the following: 1.20 m high x 0.80 m wide.
- Posters may be set up between 8:30AM to 7:00PM on the day of presentation.
- During the presentation day the author should be at the posters board available and ready for questions, from 10:30AM to 12:00PM and 16:00PM to 17:15PM.
- Place the title of your paper prominently at the top of the poster board.
- Highlight the author’s names, affiliation and contact information in case the viewer is interested in contacting them for more information.
- The text, illustrations, etc. should be in a size large enough to be read from a distance of two (2) meters.
- Paragraph and figure caption text should be at least 24 point font (0.9 cm height) and headers at least 36 point font (1.2 cm height).
- Posters will be attached to the board using double side tape.
- Please refer to the final program, which you will receive upon arrival at the conference, for the poster board number assigned to you.
- Posters must be removed by 7:00PM of the presentation day. Posters not removed will be discarded.
- The proEXPLO 2017 Organizing Commission and the IIMP team accept no responsibility for unattended posters and materials abandoned at the poster panels.
- Abstract and main text: Arial 11 regular (with the exception of what was specified for subtitles)
- Margins: 2.5 cm
- Page numbering: Arial 9 regular, bottom right corner
- Footnotes: not allowed
- Language: Spanish and English
Extended abstracts will not be distributed to all members of the IIMP but only to those enrolled in the 10th International Congress of Prospectors and Explorers, proEXPLO 2017.